Coop Peering Fabric??

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Aug 13 02:43:33 UTC 2008

>> That's one of the reasons many of them incorporate as non-profits...
>> Under the tax laws of most countries, the U.S. and Canada included,
>> non-profits are legaly protected against acquisition by for-profits.
>
>Do any of these operations post their tax returns online?

In the US, every non-profit has to file an annual financial report on
form 990 or, for small ones, 990-EZ.  These are by law open to public
inspection, and if you call, write, fax or e-mail them and ask for a
copy they better send you one.

The Foundation Center has a fairly good online 990 database:

http://tfcny.fdncenter.org/990s/990search/esearch.php

If you're wondering what my signature looks like, search for
Domain Assurance Council

R's,
John