maybe a dumb idea on how to fix the dns problems i don't know....

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon Aug 11 04:40:20 UTC 2008

Joe Greco wrote:
> Actually, it's quite a problem, for the server.  Try, sometime, having a
> few thousand file descriptors all open, and then running select() on that
> fdset.  But it's not even really that pleasant on many clients.  It's a
> kernel consumable.  You try to avoid introducing additional requirements
> without a good reason.

I thought that that was why poll(2) was your friend? Not that I'm
saying that TCP is the right thing here, but things have evolved on
the kernel interface front too, and I'd think that's even more so with
(semi)  purpose built OS's. It seems to me that DNS is an important
enough service that we shouldn't require it least common denominator
to creaky 30 year old API's any more than, oh say, routers should.

       Mike, it's the recursion argument that's really that seems
         to me to be what is most persuasive of why this is a
         lot different than http or ldap or most everything else