FW: maybe a dumb idea on how to fix the dns problems i don't know....

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Sun Aug 10 19:37:27 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomas L. Byrnes
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2008 9:01 PM
To: 'Chris Paul'
Subject: RE: maybe a dumb idea on how to fix the dns problems i don't
know....

Actually, the RFCs (RFC-1034 3.7RFC-1035 4.2, ref RFC-793;
Implementation spec in RFC-1035 4.2.2; RFC-2136 2.1 says TCP is "at the
discretion of the requestor";)   say TCP "Should" be supported. It's
optional, but recommended.

The source of the guidance to block TCP is misguided "security" folks
who confuse self-denial of service with policy enforcement.

When security breaks functionality, it usually fails to secure, as users
circumvent it, in my not so humble experience.

BTW: In RFC 1034 5.3.1 PVM tipped to some of the issues that we are now
dealing with, under the title of "Stub Resolvers".