DNS attacks evolve

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Sat Aug 9 22:50:42 UTC 2008

On Aug 9, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> second, please think carefully about the word "severe".  any time
> someone
> can cheerfully hammer you at full-GigE speed for 10 hours, you've
> got some
> trouble, and you'll need to monitor for those troubles.  11 seconds of
> 10MBit/sec fit my definition of "severe".  10 hours at 1000MBit/sec
> doesn't.

I think what we're seeing here is the realization that DNS hosting,
like web hosting, is no longer something that can simply be done by
tossing a machine on the internet and leaving it there; it needs
professional management, monitoring and updates. That's always a hard
transition for some people to make, but it's one that has to be made;
that's the world we live in.

Kee Hinckley
CEO/CTO Somewhere Inc.
Somewhere: http://www.somewhere.com/
TechnoSocial: http://xrl.us/bh35i
I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to
accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager
to regulate those of everybody else.