was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:35:49 UTC 2008

I think the problem is that operational reality (ease of use, visual
clarity, etc.) has long since won the war against the numerical
capabilities.

Things like assigning /24's per vlan make the routing table easy to read,
subnets easy to assign, etc.
	Starting from the bottom up, the next easy segregation point is /16s
per site.
	Yielding just over 250 sites, each with just over 250 network
segments, each supporting up to 250 or so users.
	Easy aggregation & summarization, easy to "own and operate" ...
grossly inefficient.  But common.

So, right or wrong is largely irrelevant - it just is.
Now go into that environment and push for a strictly-speaking efficient
allocation mechanism and let me know what kind of traction you get.

Moving forward, we can try to do things right in our IPv6 networks ...
assuming we don't inherit too much of the cruft from above.
	Use the bits to do flexible allocation while also maintaining
aggregation / summarization - it can be done.

... now let's get some work done.
/TJ