was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Aug 6 19:17:42 UTC 2008

--- darden at armc.org wrote:
Most organizations that would be doing this would not randomly pick out subnets, if I understand you.  They would randomly pick out a subnet, then they would sub-subnet that based on a scheme.

One way to do it...

In picking out 1918 space for a network, I happened to notice it was 2:45pm.  I randomly picked 20 minutes less and came up with 10.245.225. Then I started going lower as everyone seems to start lower and then goes higher.  10.245.225.0/24, 10.245.224.0/24, etc.  Within those (and the larger subnets) I chose to fill out the blocks based on a scheme.  So far, no network has used these ranges and we've connected to many.

scott