Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Aug 6 15:52:36 UTC 2008

Randy Bush wrote:
> serious curiosity:
>
> what is the proportion of bad stuff coming from unallocated space vs
> allocated space?  real measurements, please.  and are there longitudinal
> data on this?
>
> are the uw folk, gatech, vern, ... measuring?

I still have 2 of my borders using an inbound ACL to filter BOGONs vs
null routes.  For the ACLs I've broken down the BOGONs to nothing larger
than a /8.  I see a number of hits on those entries, especially on 94/8.
  and 0/8.  While some of the other hits are accidental I'm sure, I
would seriously doubt if those 2 /8s are.

Justin