was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

Matthew Kaufman matthew at eeph.com
Wed Aug 6 14:44:16 UTC 2008

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
> Most private networks start at the bottom and work up: 192.168.0.X++,
> 10.0.0.X++, etc.  This makes
> any internetworking (ptp, vpn, etc.) ridiculously difficult.  I've seen
> a lot of hack jobs
> using NAT to get around this.  Ugly.

Well, you can always do what one of the companies I work with does:
allocate from 42.0.0.0/8 for networks that might need to interoperate
with 1918 space and hope that it is "forever" before we run so low on
IPv4 space that 42.0.0.0/8 needs to be taken out of reserved status.

How many more weeks is "forever" now?

Matthew Kaufman
matthew at eeph.com
http://www.matthew.at