[NANOG] Purpose of Internap's PNET AS22212

Darren Bolding darren at bolding.org
Mon Apr 28 18:08:10 UTC 2008

As an Internap customer, I have been investigating this as well.  I'm not
sure when PNET got rolled out, but as best I can tell::

a) It is treated as an optional/another transit provider.  E.G. When I have
investigated changing routing policies to direct traffic to blocks over
specific peers I have been given stats on all transit options and PNET was
one of them.
b) It's a fairly widespread mesh between PNAP's.  I believe I have seen what
appears to be private-peering between PNET and some large web properties.
c) It certainly seemed like there was routing instability inside of PNET
last week.
d) I have noticed that the "default best" connection from Internap to
various locations seems to have changed away from PNET, where it was going
before.

My guess is that the PNET internal connectivity is primarily MPLS based, as
I have not seen TDM speeds across the PNET links, but rather "Internet"
speeds.

I'm not sure how PNET relates to PNAP-PNAP speeds and associated SLA's from
Internap.

--D

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Randy Epstein <repstein at chello.at> wrote:

> Thurber,
>
> PNET (AS22212) is looked upon by InterNAP's PNAPs (its various ASes) as
> just
> another transit provider in the mix.
>
> So yes, InterNAP technically peers (under AS22212), but there is no
> guarantee its various PNAPs would choose that path, depending upon a
> number
> of factors.
>
> (Disclaimer: This is what I've gathered from public information, not from
> information obtained under non-disclosure.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Randy

-- Darren Bolding --
-- darren at bolding.org --