[Nanog] P2P traffic optimization Was: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics [Was: Re: ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010]

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:14:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Laird Popkin <laird at pando.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 23, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Alexander Harrowell
> > <a.harrowell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well. here's your problem; depending on the architecture, the IP
> addressing
> > > structure doesn't necessarily map to the network's cost structure. This
> is
> > > why I prefer the P4P/DillTorrent announcement model.
> > >

> > sure 80/20 rule... less complexity in the clients and some benefit(s).
> > perhaps short term something like the above with longer term more
> > realtime info about locality.
> >

>  For the applications, it's a lot less work to use a clean network map from
> ISP's than it is to in effect derive one from lookups to ASN, /24, /16,
> pings, traceroutes, etc. The main reason to spend the effort to implement
> those tactics is that it's better than not doing anything. :-)

so.. 'not doing anything' may or may not be a good plan.. bittorrent
works fine today(tm). On the other hand, asking network folks to turn
over 'state secrets' (yes some folks, including doug's company)
believe that their network diagrams/designs/paths are  in some way
'secret' or a 'competitive advantage', so that will be a blocking
factor. While, doing simple/easy things initially (most bittorrent
things I've seen have <50 peers certainly there are more in some
cases, but average? > or < than 100? so dns lookups or bit-wise
comparisons seem cheap and easy) that get the progress going seems
like a grand plan.

Being blocked for the 100% solution and not making
progress/showing-benefit seems bad :(

-Chris