[Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Apr 21 20:44:15 UTC 2008

--- Marc.Williams at neustar.biz wrote:
From: "Williams, Marc" <Marc.Williams at neustar.biz>

http://www.worldmulticast.com/marketsummary.html

We should be careful when discussing IPTV traffic issues.  Is it inter-AS or intra-AS traffic?  I'd imagine the beginning of the IPTV roll-out will be intra-AS traffic, rather than inter-AS and global.  We're looking into starting up with it on a small scale to work all the bugs out before expanding the customer base (like AT&T did in San Antonio) but no IPTV traffic will leave our network.

AT&T is rapidly expanding U-verse (http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSN2826839220070328 and http://seekingalpha.com/article/30657-project-lightspeed-at-t-s-iptv-architecture) and perhaps they've seen the BW issues better than others, thus the FUD by their vice president of legislative affairs at the Westminster eForum.  Perhaps in his PoV AT&T's current network infrastructure is the Internet's current network architecture.

scott