[Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Apr 18 20:40:19 UTC 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Scott Francis wrote:

> http://www.news.com/2100-1034_3-6237715.html
>
> I find claims that "soon everything will be HD" somewhat dubious
> (working for a company that produces video for online distribution) -
> although certainly not as eyebrow-raising as "in 3 years' time, 20
> typical households will generate more traffic than the entire Internet
> today". Is there some secret plan to put 40Gb ethernet to "typical
> households" in the next 3 years that I haven't heard about? I don't
> have accurate figures on how much traffic "the entire Internet"
> generates, but I'm fairly certain that 5% of it could not be generated
> by any single household regardless of equipment installed, torrents
> traded or videos downloaded. Even given a liberal application of
> Moore's Law, I doubt that would be the case in 2010 either.

40 Gbps?  Does anyone think the Internet has fewer than twenty 40 Gbps
links' worth of traffic?  I know individual networks that have more
traffic.

Could we get 100 Gbps to the home by 2010?  Hell, we're having trouble
getting 100 Gbps to the CORE by 2010 thanx to companies like Sun
forcing 40 Gbps ethernet down the IEEE's throat.

Not that 100 Gbps would be enough anyway to make his statement true.

> Does anybody know what the basis for Mr. Cicconi's claims were (if
> they even had a basis at all)?

His answers are so far off, they're not even wrong.

Basis?  You don't need a basis for such blatantly and objectively
false information that even the most newbie neophyte laughs their ass
off while reading it.

Good thing C|Net asked "vice president of legislative affairs" about
traffic statistics.  Or maybe they didn't ask, but they sure
listened.  Perhaps they should ask the Network Architect about the
legislative implications around NN laws.  Actually, they would
probably get more useful answers than asking a lawyer about bandwidth.

C|Net--

I'd say the same about at&t, but ....

--
TTFN,