Abuse response [Was: RE: Yahoo Mail Update]

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Thu Apr 17 17:25:19 UTC 2008

William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Abuse desk is a $0 revenue operation.  Is it not obvious what the issue is?
>
> Martin,
>
> So is marketing, yet marketing does have an impact on revenue.
>
> It can be useful to explain the abuse desk as being just another form
> of marketing, another form of reputation management that happens to be
> specific to Internet companies. Handling the abuse desk well (or
> poorly) builds (or damages) the brand.

Even IF the reputation of an abuse desk had any effect at all on
bringing in revenue (doubtful) ... I'm quite certain that dollar for
dollar, the ROI on investment in Marketing generates MUCH greater
revenue returns than investment in Abuse desk staff.

Properly staffing an abuse desk is something a business does because It
Is The Right Thing To Do, not because it's the best investment for their
marketing dollars.

jc