Abuse response [Was: RE: Yahoo Mail Update]

Dave Pooser dave.nanog at alfordmedia.com
Wed Apr 16 16:47:54 UTC 2008

> It can be useful to explain the abuse desk as being just another form
> of marketing, another form of reputation management that happens to be
> specific to Internet companies.

Is it? I mean, I may know that (a hypothetical) example.com is a
pink-contract-signing batch of incompetents who spew spam like a bulemic
firehose. You may know that. 10,000 other mail administrators may know that.
But once they have signed up 2.3 million users with example.com they are too
big (for most email administrators) to block, so at that point the cost of
disbanding their abuse desk and pointing complaints to /dev/null is nil.

> Handling the abuse desk well (or poorly) builds (or damages) the brand.

...among people who are educated among such things. Unfortunately, people
with clue are orders of magnitude short of a majority, and the rest of the
world (ie: potential customers) wouldn't know an abuse desk from a
self-abuse desk.
--
Dave Pooser, ACSA
Manager of Information Services