Problems sending mail from .mumble

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Apr 15 16:56:28 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:07:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Duane Wessels <wessels at packet-pushers.com>
> Subject: Re: Problems sending mail from .mumble
>
> FWIW I was able to find one application, the text browser 'links,'
> which accepts either filename or hostnames as its commandline
> argument.  From what I can tell its algorithm is something like
> this:
>
>     - if tld/extension has two letters --> URL
>     - if less than two letters --> File
>     - if tld/extension is in list of known gTLDs --> URL
>     - else --> File

The web browser "Lynx" does something very similar.  One addendum to the
above logic is that if the DNS look-up fails, it tries to use the string
as a local file path.

Typo the FQDN in a URL to something that returns NXDOMAIN, and you get an
error message to the effect that lynx 'couldn't access start *FILE* "foo'"
(emphasis added.)