Problems sending mail from .mumble

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 19:43:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> > It's got some interesting implications if it's: domain.exe ... 'did
> > you mean to go to domain.exe or execute domain.exe or display
> > domain.pdf ?' the UI folks will have a headache with that I bet... I
> > could see a rule set (simplified) like:
> >
> > 1) if -f domain.exe && -x domain.exe ; then exec(domain.exe)
> > 2) if ! -f domain.exe ; then openlocation(domain.exe)
> >

>  Do UI folks today have trouble with:
>
>  domain.com
>  domain.pl
>  domain.ps
>  domain.sh
>  etc.?
>
>  Is there an application that treats a local file specifier and a host
> specifier indistinguishably? If so, how does it deal with strings (like
> those I listed above) that could potentially be executables as well as
> domain names?

see previous 'not been using dos in a while ,doh!' sorry :( I suspect
.pl/.sh/.ps things are not normal user-application things (not windows
things) so perhaps these are handled sanely. Or maybe there aren't
reasons to look for this sort of thing over a network today so the
problem doesn't exist?

I know that in some applications (php things) you can open() a file or
a 'url', maybe these things do something sane already? or maybe it's a
corner case that doesnt' get tickled today with .exe or .gif ?

Still, is all the world a web-browser?? (displaying 'web content' to
things not web-browsers has already been proven to be a bad plan)

-Chris