the O(N^2) problem

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Mon Apr 14 13:41:50 UTC 2008

I received an off-list request: "Could you clarify what precisely you
are trying to secure?"  I fear that perhaps I am still too vague.

When one accepts an email[*], one wishes for some sort of _a priori_
information regarding message trustworthiness.  DKIM can vouch for
message authenticity, but not trust.  (A valid DKIM signature shows that
selected headers/content have not been forged, but does not vouch for
content.)

If I receive email from someone I trust, there's a good chance it's
something I want.  If from someone who someone I trust trusts, there's
still a good chance.  As the chain lengthens, trust becomes a bit
dicier.

What I propose is orthogonal to DKIM.

I've also been asked to set up a separate mailing list.  I'll do that,
and stop pollu^H^H^H^H^Htrying to elaborate on NANOG.

[*] Discussion limited to one example, but could be expanded.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.