/24 blocking by ISPs - Re: Problems sending mail to yahoo?

Raymond L. Corbin rcorbin at hostmysite.com
Fri Apr 11 15:07:46 UTC 2008

It's not unusual to do /24 blocks, however Yahoo claims they do not keep any logs as to what causes the /24 block. If they kept logs and were able to tell us which IP address in the /24 sent abuse to their network we would then be able to investigate it. Their stance of 'it's coming from your network you should know' isn't really helpful in solving the problem. When an IP is blocked a lot of ISP's can tell you why. I would think when they block a /24 they would atleast be able to decipher who was sending the abuse to their network to cause the block and not simply say 'Were sorry our anti-spam measures do not conform with your business practices'. Logging into every server using a /24 is looking for needle in a haystack.

-Ray