Problems sending mail to yahoo?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Apr 10 19:29:08 UTC 2008

> Barry Shein wrote:
> > Is it just us or are there general problems with sending email to
> > yahoo in the past few weeks? Our queues to them are backed up though
> > they drain slowly.
> >
> > They frequently return:
> >
> >        421 4.7.0 [TS01] Messages from MAILSERVERIP temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts01.html
> >
> >     (where MAILSERVERIP is one of our mail server ip addresses)
> > Just wondering if this was a widespread problem or are we just so
> > blessed, and any insights into what's going on over there.
>
> I see this a lot also and what I see causing it is accounts on my servers
> that don't opt for spam filtering and they have their accounts here set to
> forward mail to their yahoo.com accounts - spam and everything then gets
> sent there - they complain to yahoo.com about the spam and bingo - email
> delays from here to yahoo.com accounts....

We had this happen when a user forwarded a non-filtered mail stream from
here to Yahoo.  The user indicated that no messages were reported to Yahoo
as spam, despite the fact that it's certain some of them were spam.

I wouldn't trust the error message completely.  It seems likely that a jump
in volume may trigger this too, especially of an unfiltered stream.

... JG