Problems sending mail to yahoo?

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Apr 10 18:29:11 UTC 2008

BS> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:30:06 -0400 (EDT)
BS> From: Barry Shein

BS> Is it just us or are there general problems with sending email to
BS> yahoo in the past few weeks? Our queues to them are backed up though
BS> they drain slowly.

[ snip details ]

BS> Just wondering if this was a widespread problem or are we just so
BS> blessed, and any insights into what's going on over there.

Not only "been there, done that", but "am there, doing that".

We admin the server for a list in which one person sends out a weekly
post.  Subscriber base is about 14,000 people, with around 2000 of those
subscribers using Yahoo boxes.

"Excessive" bounces trigger automatic unsubscribes.  Although Yahoo
readership accounts for 14% of subscribers, it's not uncommon for 98% of
automated unsubscribes to be Yahoo-based... followed by Yahoo-using
people sending list-admin requests asknig why they were dropped, and
wanting to sign back up.

Following URLs in Yahoo's 4xx codes gives virtually-useless information.
The easiest fix to date has been for people to use less-presumptive
email services.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.