Problems sending mail to yahoo?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 10 17:58:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:30:06PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
> Is it just us or are there general problems with sending email to
> yahoo in the past few weeks? Our queues to them are backed up though
> they drain slowly.
>
> They frequently return:
>
>        421 4.7.0 [TS01] Messages from MAILSERVERIP temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts01.html
>
>     (where MAILSERVERIP is one of our mail server ip addresses)
>
> Yes I followed the link and filled out the form but after several days
> no response or change.

	I had a similar problem recently and found someone at yahoo who
would tweak things so I was no longer getting delayed.  The problem is
dumb users reporting list mail as spam in an attempt to unsubscribe.
This is common with a few mail services but the first time I personally
was impacted as I tend to run a nice clean 'ship'.

	I do wish that the mail providers would do a better job of
warning people what is happening, why and give some warning.  I have
400+ unique yahoo accounts that get list mail so short of sending them
all email saying they're idiots you have to wait for them to tweak their
delays.  Worst part is if the lists are active you can quickly end up
with thousands of queued messages making it harder to clear the queue.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net