fiber switch for gig

Andrew Staples andrews at ltinet.net
Wed Apr 9 13:42:47 UTC 2008

I was asked to summarize what I found.  I only had two personal
recommendations based on respondents use/experience, so I don't have much of
a rating to give back to the list.  However, I did do some research as
follows.

Some disclaimers/explanations:

1.    Best Price = no gbics.  Total Price = includes gbics  @ $80/each
(generic brand GBIC, not sure it they work in all models.  I've not had
problems using generic gbics in FC switches.ymmv)

2.    Feature set is my personal subjective rating based on high-level
features important to me.  Your feature-set needs may be different.

3.    Couldn't find RPS info on two switches.  As an alternative, I like to
use Tripplite Digital Power ATS PDUs for all my single-power-supply gear.

4.    There may be additional costs for various feature sets.

5.    Best pricing usually means used/refurbed gear with warranties.  I've
added the base list price (without gbics) if you like shiny new.

6.    No warranties expressed or implied as to the accuracy/completeness of
the info below (I didn't call each manufacturer to verify their
documentation).  If you can clarify any inaccuracies, send me a note
off-list.

7.    I couldn't verify if the Force10 needed gbics or not.two different
documents gave conflicting information, so I assumed worst-case.

8.    No particular ranking is imputed by the table.

9.    Delete the email rather than complain about the html format.

Product

Feature Set

Ports

Best Price