Dubai impound ships suspected in cable damage

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 9 01:45:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:31:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> Wow, civilian satellite images are getting very sharp.
>
> http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/07/stories/2008040759181200.htm
>
> Using satellite images of ship movements in the area, Reliance
> Globalcom identified two ships in the area at the time which
> may have damaged the cable.
>
> Reliance also confirmed the cable was damaged because of "jerks and
> force of the ship."

Thanks.  I wish, though, the article had said *which* cable cuts those
ships were responsible for -- remember that Egyptian authorities had
said that their videos showed no ships off Alexandria.

There's a bit more at
http://web20.telecomtv.com/pages/?newsid=42942&id=e9381817-0593-417a-8639-c4c53e2a2a10&view=news