Speedtest site accuracy [was: Bandwidth issues in the Sprint network]

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Apr 8 18:15:58 UTC 2008

--- mevans at alphatheory.com wrote:

Try using the Java test on DSLReports rather than the Flash based test. I've found it to be much more accurate. I also receive the message about compression being used when I test with the flash test. I think it may be a bug.

This brings up a PITA point for me.  Recently, I have seen a rash of "Speedsite test server at <location> says blah, blah, blah" tickets finally reach me and I am telling everyone they're not an accurate way to measure network performance.  I notice that at least some are just sending text in Latin.

To other medium-sized eyeball network providers (I'm defining medium size as 50-150K DSL/Cable connections and 50-1500 leased line customers): are you seeing this and what do you tell your customers?

scott