Comcast problems?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Apr 5 17:44:54 UTC 2008

Anyone know what's going on with Comcast?  From my house, I can reach a
few sites  with TCP (fortunately, that includes my office, so I could
set up a web and email proxy). If I use traceroute, I can get more or
less anywhere. If I use a UDP-based traceroute, I can get responses
back from the first 8 hops. If I use a TCP-based traceroute, I get
nowhere.

The fact that I get different behavior for different protocols makes me
suspect they're having trouble with equipment designed to control p2p
traffic.  Their help phone line simply speaks of an outage.  Service
has come back occasionally, but not for long.  The problem has been
going on since about 6am.

Does anyone have any data?