Flow Based Routing/Switching (Was: "Does TCP Need an Overhaul?" (internetevolution, via slashdot))

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sat Apr 5 10:16:01 UTC 2008

Paul Vixie wrote:
[..]
> i wouldn't want to get in an argument with somebody who was smart and savvy
> enough to invent packet switching during the year i entered kindergarden,
> but, somebody told me once that keeping information on every flow was *not*
> "inexpensive."  should somebody tell dr. roberts?

Isn't the reason that "NetFlow" (or v10 which is the the IETF/Cisco
named IPFIX) exists the side-effect of having routers doing "flow based
routing" aka "keeping an entry per IP flow, thus using that entry for
every next packet to quickly select the outgoing interface instead of
having to go through all the prefixes" ?
The flows are in those boxes, but only for stats purposes exported with
NetFlow/IPFIX/sFlow/etc. Apparently it was not as fast as they liked it
to be and there where other issues. Thus what exactly is new here in his
boxes that has not been tried and failed before?

Greets,
  Jeroen