L3VPN VPNv4 NLRI - Route Reflector Scaling

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Fri Apr 4 09:53:04 UTC 2008

>On Wednesday 02 April 2008, David Freedman wrote:
> We have dedicated VPNv4 route reflectors, they work well
> for us.
>An inevitable end as the number of routes grows.

In our case we use the cisco "rr-group" directive
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/iproute/command/reference/ip2_a1g.html#wp1040902)
to limit RR clusters to the prefixes we actually want them to reflect, filtered by extcommunity.

The downside to this of course is that the RRs spend time discarding prefixes when update time comes around for the PEs.

Dave.