rack power question, and a prediction about "direct heat removal" (DHR)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Apr 4 09:14:33 UTC 2008

> My guess is that someone will come up with an inexpensive,
> reliable way to put a heat collector, which will basically
> look like a car radiator the size of a rear rack door,
> directly behind the hot air coming from the systems in the rack.

> b) air is a lousy way to transfer heat away
> from where you want it to be compared to other materials.

So how did you propose to get the heat from the equipment
to the car-radiator door?

The idea of making the entire room into a refrigerator by
bringing coolant to the racks is a good one, but I think
that for this to be successful, more attention needs to be
paid to physical placement of things, and the chillers need
to be broken open. By that I mean that chillers cease to be
a big box at the edge of the room because they are now part
of the room itself. Think of a flat chiller attached to the
ceiling with spaces for racks to be inserted into it.

--Michael Dillon