fiber switch for gig

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Apr 2 13:50:42 UTC 2008

Are you wanting hardened devices for an outside cabinet install (if it's
going outside then you'd better want hardened devices) or is this for an
internal environmentally-sound install?  What's your definition of "long
distance"?  1800ft, 10km, 20km, 40km, 70, 80, 110?  Assuming SMF, do you
need simplex or duplex?

Have you considered talking to a FTTx vendor?  We use Occam here and
they make some cost-effective fiber products built with FTTx in mind.
I'm not sure how they compare price-wise with products you listed below
but it might be worth checking out.

Justin