fiber switch for gig

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Apr 2 02:39:41 UTC 2008

> Speaking of running gig long distances, does anyone on the list have
> suggestions on a >8 port L2 switch with fiber ports based on personal
> experience?  Lots of 48 port gig switches have 2-4 fiber uplink ports, but
> this means daisy-chains instead of hub/spoke.  Looking for a central switch
> for a star topography to home fiber runs that is cost effective and works.
>
> Considering:
> DLink DXS-3326GSR
> NetGear GSM7312
> Foundry SX-FI12GM-4
> Zyxel GS-4012F
>
> I realize not all these switches are IEEE 802.3ae, Clause 49 or IEEE 802.3aq
> capable.

Cost effective would probably be the Dell 6024F.  We have some of these
and they've worked well, but we're not making any use of their "advanced
features."  Can be had cheaply on eBay these days.  Has basic L3
capabilities (small forwarding table, OSPF), built in redundant power
supply, etc.  If you're fine with a non-ae/aq switch, these are worth
considering.

16 SFP plus 8 shared SFP/copper make it a fairly flexible device.

You did say cost effective, right?  :-)

... JG