[NANOG] support.microsoft.com?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Apr 24 13:49:05 UTC 2008

Colin Alston <karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net> writes:

> Has anyone else noticed strange things with support.microsoft.com?
>
> If I wget it ('http://support.microsoft.com/') from anywhere, I get an
> index.html fine.
>
> If I use lynx, I get gibberish (gzipped content, without a correct header)
>
> If I use Firefox or IE behind some Squid proxies in certain places, it
> doesn't understand the content either.
>
> Looks like either they are not correctly encoding the content based on
> browser capabilities.

Not only that.  They are actually redirecting to a 404 not found page
based on User-Agent.  Compare these two requests:

bjorn at canardo:~$ telnet support.microsoft.com 80
Trying 207.46.248.248...
Connected to support.microsoft.akadns.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: support.microsoft.com
Connection: close

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Connection: close
P3P: CP="ALL IND DSP COR ADM CONo CUR CUSo IVAo IVDo PSA PSD TAI TELo OUR SAMo CNT COM INT NAV ONL PHY PRE PUR UNI"

Connection closed by foreign host.
bjorn at canardo:~$ telnet support.microsoft.com 80
Trying 207.46.248.248...
Connected to support.microsoft.akadns.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: support.microsoft.com
Connection: close