[Nanog] Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics [Was: Re: ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010]

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:10:28 UTC 2008

Personally I consider P4P a big step forward; it's good to see Big Verizon
engaging with these issues in a non-coercive fashion.

Just to braindump a moment, it strikes me that it would be very useful to be
able to announce preference metrics by netblock (for example, to deal with
networks with varied internal cost metrics or to pref-in the CDN servers)
but also risky. If that was done, client developers would be well advised to
implement a check that the announcing network actually owns the netblock
they are either preffing in (to send traffic via a suboptimal route/through
a spook box of some kind/onto someone else's pain-point) or out (to restrict
traffic from reaching somewhere); you wouldn't want a hijack, whether
malicious or clue-deficient.

There is every reason to encourage the use of dynamic preference.