[Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Apr 21 20:12:16 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Simon Lockhart <simon at slimey.org> said:
> On Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 02:43:14PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > You're a little low.  ATSC (the over-the-air digital broadcast format)
> > is 19 megabits per second or 8.55 gigabytes per hour.
>
> I think you're too high there! MPEG2 SD is around 4-6Mbps, MPEG4 SD is around
> 2-4Mbps, MPEG4 HD is anywhere from 8 to 20Mbps, depending on how much wow
> factor the broadcaster is trying to give.

Nope, ATSC is 19 (more accurately 19.28) megabits per second.  That can
carry multiple sub-channels, or it can be used for a single channel.
Standard definition DVDs can be up to 10 megabits per second.  Both only
use MPEG2; MPEG4 can be around half that for similar quality.  The base
Blu-Ray data rate is 36 megabits per second (to allow for high quality
MPEG2 at up to 1080p60 resolution).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>