WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

Mark Prior mrp at mrp.net
Sun Sep 30 10:26:41 UTC 2007

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Randy is right that eliminating tunnels does not make all of the IPv6
> problems go away. It just eliminates the ones caused by the use of
> tunnels. The REAL problems are not going anywhere for a long time, it
> ever.

It would be nice to see some evidence of some forward motion but I don't
see any. The vendors seem to point at a lack of demand and the ISPs
claim a lack of support from the vendors and/or not customer demand. If
the ISPs tried to deploy it for themselves then perhaps this current
impasse could be broken and the current shortcomings would then have
some visibility with the vendors and that might encourage the IETF to
address the real issues.

A quick look at some of the usual suspects shows not much consumption of
their own dog food.

<http://www.mrp.net/ISP.html> although the R&E community isn't much
better <http://www.mrp.net/Internet2.html>.

Mark.