Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Sep 30 09:39:51 UTC 2007

If we agree that dual-stack can be only needed in a small part of the
network (and in my opinion in all the LANs, until all the applications are
IPv6-enabled), then you could use private addresses and softwires (LT2P) for
automatic tunneling of protocols that you can't proxy to avoid any new
translation protocol, break less things and make it all much simple. I will
just add proxies (v4<->v6) for protocols such as http, in order to avoid
unnecessarily tunneling traffic that can just be proxied.

We have this in real customers, so I know it works.

Regards,
Jordi

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !