windows update cache

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Sep 28 17:32:36 UTC 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Steve Gibbard wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>

>> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>> Great if you're running a windows IT type LAN; crap if you're
>>> running an
>>> ISP!
>>
>> Why? It talks TCP/IP.
>
> This seems like a question of how much control ISPs have over
> customers' PCs at this point.  In my day (when we had to push
> packets up hill through 28.8 kbps modems, both ways...), we used to
> send out CDs to all our customers that would install web browsers
> and mail clients, and change the computers' dial-up networking
> settings to match our network.  Changing some registry strings for
> Windows Update would have been trivial.
>
> The ISPs I've dealt with recently as an end user tend to just send
> out a cable or DSL to ethernet bridge and let DHCP do the rest.
> This is progress, as it means devices can move from place to place
> and just work, but I don't think it provides a way to change
> registry settings.

And, even if it did, once the customer leaves and goes to another ISP
they would likely still be pointing at your server -- this means that:
a: their windows updates would break or
b: you would carry on servicing them and paying for BW, etc

(Yes, yes, unless the new ISP gives them a CD that changes the
registry settings too...)

--
Hope is not a strategy.
       --  Ben Treynor, Google