WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Sep 27 21:51:27 UTC 2007

On 27-sep-2007, at 23:25, Randy Bush wrote:

> and the unscalable tunneling schemes are making a mess, in
> architecture,
> in implementation, in user experience.  the latter is causing folk to
> turn off ipv6.

So run IPv6 natively and your tunneling issues are history.

> there is a problem that the ivtf

IVTF? That sounds like a fertility treatment...

> is dominated by the very vendors who
> are holding up deployment by incomplete, poorly performing,
> expensive to
> scale products.  and adding complexity and features is not helping
> this
> either.

Strange. What I keep hearing is "we can't possibly deploy IPv6 until
it has <insert favorite IPv4 feature>". (And then when that feature
becomes available somehow IPv6 still isn't deployed.)

The simple truth is that IPv6 will be widely deployed as soon as it
reduces cost / increases income / enables features that can't be had
otherwise. The rest is just details which we generally get 80% right,
which makes for an annoying 20% but that's life.