WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Sep 26 16:05:22 UTC 2007

You make this sound negative.

The IETF has since I have been involved with it had a problem with
standing working groups. Some of the "temporary" working groups have
taken a huge long time; IPsec lived seven years before it published
its first RFC, for example. But in course of time, the IETF says
"that phase is over, we're starting a new phase". That's how I read
this.

We started discussions in 1992, IIRC, with IPNG, which looked at
several options and decided on the one we now call IPv6. That set of
documents is 25 documents in the range from RFC 1550 (1993) through
1955 (1996) plus documents regarding TUBA, CATNIP, PIP, NIMROD, and
the original Deering and Hinden proposals that merged to form IPv6.

That working group was called "IP Next Generation". It closed, and an
"IPv6" Working Group was opened.

The initial development of IPv6 took perhaps five years, starting
from the Deering and Hinden proposals (internet drafts) and
culminating with a batch of documents in winter 1998-1999, some of
which were at Draft Standard (proven functional and interoperable).
Those documents, centering around RFC 2460, have been and are IPv6,
whatever your opinion of that may be. Like RFC 791, that is the
basis. It hasn't been changing, and it's not likely to change. These
include the basic IPv6 ICMP, OSPF, Neighbor Discovery, "how to run it
on Ethernet etc", address format, and that sort of thing.

Since then, the IPv6 WG and several satellite WG including multi6,
shim6, and v6ops, has dealt with "topics" more than "protocols" -
renumbering, privacy addressing, transition mechanisms, multihoming,
and so on - 124 RFCs working through various issues, many of them
operational in nature.

As I read this statement, it is saying that the working group opened
in, what was it, 1995 maybe, has largely done what it was intended to
do. There is still work to do, which is why there is an IPv6
Maintenance WG, IPv6 Operations, and a couple of others, but that is
not to be confused with the definition work done in the mid-late
1990's or what has gone on the past eight years.

To me, the idea that the previous phase is over and we're in a new
phase is a positive statement, not a negative one.