Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 24 16:16:07 UTC 2007

> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:41:12 +0200
> From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> Sender: owner-nanog at merit.edu
>

> Unfortunately, Juniper doesn't support 6to4, only in Netscreen boxes. This
> is ridiculous and I already asked Juniper several times about this ..., but
> never got a positive feedback about when it will be supported.

Unfortunately, IPv6 support in almost any network hardware is pretty
lame. Yes, both C and J support IPv6, but that is often pretty slim
support, especially in terms of management and accounting. And they have
the nerve to charge extra for IPv6 capability that is missing most
features needed to provide true, production quality support.

It's even worse in areas like security products and various network
application, monitoring, and analysis devices.

About the only things that is pretty likely fully IPv6 capable is the
end system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)