Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Mon Sep 24 11:40:41 UTC 2007

On 20/09/2007, at 4:08 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>>> location would be enough. If I had some old 7200s lying around
>>> I'd  use those, in locations where replacing drives isn't a huge
>>> deal a  BSD box (Linux if you insist) would be a good choice
>>> because they  give you a bigger CPU for your money.
>> As someone who is building little compact flash and USB flash based
>> BSD boxes for various tasks, I can quite happily say its entirely
>> possible to build diskless based Linux/BSD routers which are upgraded
>> about as easy as upgrading a Cisco router (ie, copy over new image,
>> run "save-config" script, reboot.) Its been that way for quite some
>> time.
>> If there's interest I'll hack up a FreeBSD nanobsd image with ipv6
>> support, a routing daemon (whatever people think is good enough)
>> and whatever other stuff is "enough" to act as a 6to4 gateway.
>> You too can build diskless core2duo software routers for USD $1k.
>
> What about Soekris hardware? I don't have any personal experience
> with it, but it looks very appealing to build load balancers/
> routers out of, and quite inexpensive.

Adrian, Seth, anyone else interested. I've almost got a Soekris
FreeBSD image going, working just as Adrian describes RE upgrades,
running Miredo and 6to4 relays. I'll release for testing within a
couple weeks, drop me an email if you'd like to play.

I'm doing both NET4801 and NET4501, as that's what I've got here
right now.

The only stuff left to do is put some basic configs on there, and
test Miredo some. 6to4 etc. all functions fine, it just needs some
hand holding.

--
Nathan Ward