Bee attack, fiber cut, 7-hour outage

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at wvi.com
Fri Sep 21 20:37:10 UTC 2007

Deepak Jain wrote:

> Sean Donelan wrote:
>>

>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5148125.html
>>
>> (AUSTIN) Telephone service was out for seven hours in rural Central
>> Texas after bees attacked a construction worker, causing him to jump
>> off his tractor and hit a lever that lowered an auger that sliced a
>> fiber-optic line.
>>

> Is this a 7 hour outage a comment on rural Central Texas availability of
> fiber splicers or novel ways fiber gets cut?

I'm thinking that getting hit by an auger might put the fiber more into
the "mangled" category rather than simply cut.

> Anytime you talk about "rural" I'm impressed with 7 hours, however --
> isn't SONET supposed to make this better?

SONET... yeah, right. We had a fiber-seeking backhoe take out some fiber
in the mid-Willamette Valley recently - it took out long distance for
several smaller local phone companies for about that long as well. 911
service for at least some people too. I'm interestedly awaiting the
final word on what happened there...

Jeff