ipv6/v4 naming nomenclature [Was: Apple Air...]

Barrett Lyon blyon at blyon.com
Wed Sep 19 22:35:08 UTC 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 1:30 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> HI,
>
> On Sep 18, 2007, at 5:45 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> Please please please, for the sake of a semi-'standard', please
>> only use
>> the following forms in those cases:
>>
>> www.<domain>
>> www.ipv6.<domain>
>> www.ipv4.<domain>
>>
>> Don't come up with any other variants. The above form is what is in
>> general use around the internet and what some people will at least
>> try
>> to use in cases where a DNS label has both an AAAA and A and one
>> of them
>> doesn't work. You can of course add them, it is your DNS, but with
>> the
>> above people might actually try them.
>
> What RFC (or other standards publication) is this documented in?

Where did the www.ipv6 and www.ipv4 "standard" come from?  As for end-
users such as normal non-network people, having a standard that adds
more characters than necessary (that eventually may become arbitrary)
seems rather silly.  Why wouldn't w4.<domain> or w6.<domain> suffice
for this purpose rather than making it overly scientific?  I can
understand the want to use ipv4 etc to separate out other services
such as DNS, SMPT, etc, but everyone does what they want with those
services anyway.

-Barrett