dotted AS numbers in asn.txt

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Sep 19 19:31:01 UTC 2007

[hostmaster at arin.net dropped from cc list, to avoid a potential
flurry of pointless new tickets.]

On 19-Sep-2007, at 1417, Andreas Ott wrote:

> since when does ftp://ftp.arin.net/info/asn.txt contain dotted
> AS numbers?

Good question, for the reason you noted below (breaking scripts). If
I was to guess I'd say it happened shortly after ARIN assigned their
first 32-bit AS number.

> Where is the new formatting documented, asn.h ?

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-michaelson-4byte-as-
representation-04.txt contains pertinent words, but I imagine it's
not strictly accurate to call that documentation for ARIN's
presentation format decisions (although maybe it is, to all intents
and purposes, since I seem to think that George's draft mainly seeks
to document practice that the RIRs have already agreed on, between
themselves).

> It just broke a scriptology we use to generate AS lookups for
> 'offline'
> customers (please don't ask :) ).

Joe