Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Sep 19 16:19:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> >If there's interest I'll hack up a FreeBSD nanobsd image with ipv6
> >support, a routing daemon (whatever people think is good enough)
> >and whatever other stuff is "enough" to act as a 6to4 gateway.
> >You too can build diskless core2duo software routers for USD $1k.
> >

> What about Soekris hardware? I don't have any personal experience with
> it, but it looks very appealing to build load balancers/routers out of,
> and quite inexpensive.

Good for some things. You can get bigger things for ~ $1k in a 1ru
formfactor that take single-core or dual-core CPUs depending on what
you need. (I think the latest whitebox wholesaler was Supermicro who
were pushing AUD $700 1ru barebones 300mm deep servers with an intel
motherboard. Add RAM+CPU+flash, shake and stir.)

How much traffic can a modern intel board with a core 2 duo handle
with $EL_GENERIC_UNIX_OS ?

Adrian