Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Sep 19 14:52:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> location would be enough. If I had some old 7200s lying around I'd
> use those, in locations where replacing drives isn't a huge deal a
> BSD box (Linux if you insist) would be a good choice because they
> give you a bigger CPU for your money.

As someone who is building little compact flash and USB flash based
BSD boxes for various tasks, I can quite happily say its entirely
possible to build diskless based Linux/BSD routers which are upgraded
about as easy as upgrading a Cisco router (ie, copy over new image,
run "save-config" script, reboot.) Its been that way for quite some
time.

If there's interest I'll hack up a FreeBSD nanobsd image with ipv6
support, a routing daemon (whatever people think is good enough)
and whatever other stuff is "enough" to act as a 6to4 gateway.
You too can build diskless core2duo software routers for USD $1k.

Adrian