Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?

John Curran jcurran at mail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:15:38 UTC 2007

At 1:06 PM -0400 9/17/07, Martin Hannigan wrote:

>Getting back to my original discussion with Barrett, what should we do
>about naming? I initially though that segregating v6 in a subdomain
>was a good idea, but if this is truly a migration, v4 should be the
>interface segregated.

RFC 4472 has an excellent discussion of the topic, and while pointing
out that your mileage may vary, it recommends the AAAA on the same
name only when:

"  1.  The address is assigned to the interface on the node.

   2.  The address is configured on the interface.

   3.  The interface is on a link that is connected to the IPv6
       infrastructure.

   In addition, if the AAAA record is added for the node, instead of
   service as recommended, all the services of the node should be IPv6-
   enabled prior to adding the resource record.  "

Not a problem for names which are single services (www.foo.com),
but caution is required when the name has multiple services running.

/John