Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Sep 16 14:13:43 UTC 2007

On 16-sep-2007, at 10:46, Andy Davidson wrote:

> Since this conversation has already talked about behaviour when
> encountering AAAA vs A, I am worried that a browser running on a
> dual-stack laptop might cache the AAAA returned when it has some v6
> connectivity, and then refuse to look again for the A when I pick
> it up and take it somewhere with only v4 connectivity.

Hm, yes, that would suck. I've never seen problems with this with
MacOS, though. I haven't used anything else both long and mobile
enough to make a difinitive statement, but I think you'll be
allright: when an application tries to do IPv6 when there is no IPv6
connectivity, MacOS/BSD/Windows detect this and return an error
rather than let the attempt time out. Not 100% sure about Linux and I
think Solaris had some trouble in this area in the past.

> We see the browser cache bite us regularly with regard to the way
> they dip into the cache for long-stale records today.

Does browser caching still work these days? I thought all web admins
disabled it on their servers because they can't be bothered to think
about which cache directives to send along with each page. I can
rarely return to a previously viewed page without the browser hitting
the network, in any event.