Good Stuff [was] Re: shameful-cabling gallery of infamy - does anybody know where it went?

Donald Stahl don at calis.blacksun.org
Wed Sep 12 19:16:51 UTC 2007

> Does anyone know if any good resources on best-practices at this sort
> of thing?  I'm pretty sure that others must've already figured out the
> trickier stuff that I've thought about.
Most good cabling jobs require one thing- dedication.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort, you can do a good
cabling job the first time. Think about how the cables will get used, what
might change in the future, and then lay them out so as to minimize
problems when things need to be moved or upgraded.

Then again, sometimes it requires a whole lot more dedication. In our case
the racks we inherited were installed wrong (no space between them for
vertical cable management). Getting our cabling organized meant welding
our own cable management brackets that we could bolt onto the front of the
racks.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

-Don