Using Mobile Phone email addys for monitoring

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Sep 6 21:39:15 UTC 2007

matthew zeier wrote:

>  > Anyone else have any issues, past or present, with this kind of thing?
>

> It takes ~ 7 minutes from the time Nagios sends an email sms to AT&T to
> the time it hits my phone.  I'm using @mobile.mycingular.com because
> mmode.com stopped working (which results in at least two txt pages vs.
> the one I was used to).
>
>  > Is SMTP to a mobile phone a fundamentally flawed way to do this?
>
> I'm beginning to think it is!

I've never had a problem with Sprint (###@messaging.sprintpcs.com)
accepting on their gateway. Although it has always accepted messages,
sometimes there was an hour or two delay before the it hit the phone.
Also, if you send too many messages too fast it'll stop talking to you
for a bit (450 errors) or throttle the SMS delivery. The delay I
normally see is under 30 seconds.

If you want to be fancy and take the internet out of the equation, you
can use festival with Asterisk to have it call you and speak the
messages. (Bonus points for a "press 1 to acknowledge this problem, 2 to
escalate, etc." IVR tree.)

~Seth