Congestion control train-wreck workshop at Stanford: Call for Demos

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Tue Sep 4 01:21:26 UTC 2007

On 3-Sep-2007, at 1328, nanditad at stanford.edu wrote:

> Spurred on by a widespread belief that TCP is showing its age and
> needs replacing

I don't mean to hijack this thread unnecessarily, but this seems like
an interesting disconnect between ops people and research people
(either that or I'm just showing my ignorance, which will be nothing
new).

Is there a groundswell of *operators* who think TCP should be
replaced, and believe it can be replaced?

Or is the motivation for replacing TCP mainly felt by those who spend
a lot of time trying to get maximum performance out of single flows
over high bandwidth-delay product paths?

Joe